Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I Might Be Overreacting...

If you read my blog on a regular basis you would know that my 18th birthday was on Saturday. It is now 4 days later and I have yet to receive a single birthday card from ANYONE! Scratch that, I got one birthday card from my Dad's mom, one from my Dad, and one from my Mom. However, I have yet to get a single birthday wish from my other grandparents, my 2 aunt's on my mom's side and my 3 aunt's on my dad's side. That's 6 people that forgot my birthday. I've always been very touchy about my birthday because usually what happens is people hand me a gift (always appreciated) and try to pass it off as a Birthday/Christmas present. Listen, I understand money is always tight around the holidays and you might not be able to afford 2 gifts for me. But this is not about the gifts. I'm not that materialistic..honestly. This is about acknowledging that the BIRTH OF CHRIST and MY BIRTHDAY are not the same. I'm flattered that you'd like to lump my birthday into such an amazing holiday such as Christmas, but they're not the same in case you didn't know. How about for your birthday..whenever it is..I give you a hug and say.."HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Oh where's your present...don't you remember..I gave it to you on Christmas!" You'd probably be pretty dang pissed! Ya maybe now you know how I feel. Now usually my family doesn't have this issue. NORMALLY they are very good about differentiating between the 2. But apparently this year, the year that marks my 18 years of existence, they decided to forget! With my family usually I get all my birthday cards/presents on the same day we do our Christmas gift exchanges. But here I am empty handed. What the freak family! Oh wait..just now I checked my mail and I got a birthday card..with nothing in it..but it's the thought that counts I suppose. Gah..I'm trying to be a good sport about this, but honestly people..I'm poor, $15 would've been greatly appreciated for something like my 18th Birthday!

Sheesh ok I've vented. Now you can leave a lovely little comment and tell me if I'm overreacting or not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, my heart goes out to all the people who have birthdays so close to Christmas...poor Alix, you're not overreacting much ;)
Yeah, the big 18 came and went for me too...and it's a little disappointing just b/c you'd like to be acknowledged. Outside my mom, dad, sister and grandma, my family's horrid at remembering.
Oh, I just remembered...did you ever swing by and pick up a senior shirt? lol, i could give you a belated birthday card with a shirt if you haven't.

-Jess