Sunday, November 16, 2008

Some Good Advice

The other day I was whining to Linds about some boy drama (pretty much the norm for me) and she reminded me of some things that I forgot for that brief moment. She basically told me to put a smile on my face because even though that one thing didn't work out for me the way I wanted it to I still had lots to be happy about it.

Today I was whining (once again) about having to be at work. Shelby gave me some advice that seemed a little odd. She told me to compliment 40 people and let her know how my night went when I was off work. Ok I didn't actually complitment 40 people. I actually didn't even keep count, but it did make a difference. Even though customers and coworkers were screaming and yelling I found that turning things around and positively speaking with someone who was upset their attitude was changed. I felt better and they felt better.

I also realized 3 things tonight. The first thing I realized was how important it is to lead by example. By now all of my coworkers are aware that I am mormon. They don't judge and they have gotten to know and understand me as a person. But I haven't been doing my part. I have a slight tendencacy to act like a sponge almost. I soak up the people and the environment I'm in and then I spit that back out. But I realized tonight that that's not why I'm here. If I truly beleive in my church and want to spread that word I should be acting as an example to my coworkers. Even if they don't join the church they would see my example and have a good wholesome opinion about LDS members. So I made a goal earlier today that I would try to be more Christ-like and carry the Spirit with me for others to see instead of stooping to a level I don't want to be at.

The second thing I realized was that I have amazing friends. I understand that I can be whiny when things don't exactly go my way and I get that I vent about ridiculous things that really no one cares about. But I have friends who love me through thick and thin. They advise me, keep my standards high, love me, and they're always there when I need them. Today I went to Junior's farewell and as I sat surrounded by people I love and care about I realized that I am truly blessed for finding such an amazing group of friends.

My last realization is pretty simple and a little silly. DON'T BURN SALT CITY CANDLES DIRECTLY UNDER THE SMOKE ALARM. I tend to be a night owl and I was cleaning my room tonight while the rest of my family was asleep. Suddenly out of no where this loud annoying sound went off. When I looked up at the candle I realized the flame was HUMONGOUS! I quickly blew it out (which was stupid for so many reasons). My whole family woke up in a panic thinking our house was burning down. And now even though they've gone back to sleep I feel incredibly stupid and I can't go sneak out in my kitchen for some sherbet. So sad.

No comments: