Monday, February 23, 2009

I Want To Be Nephi

I already posted for today, but I felt inspired to write another post. I found out today that the transmission in my car needs to be replaced. It's going to cost $2300, but my car is only worth $2000 at most. Basically my car is crap now. Then when I got home and checked the mail I found a letter from my car insurance. One of the people that was involved in my car accident is sueing me....for $75,000. $8000 is doctor bills, everything else is money she thinks she deserves from pain and suffering. This lady is ridiculous. If you don't know the story I was going about 35 and hit the back of an SUV which slid about 5 feet forward and hit the lady that's sueing me. Her car had no damage and after the accident she jumped out of the car to run around and take pictures. As soon as the ambulence arrived she flopped on the ground and started screaming. She was faking the entire time. It's pretty ridiculous that we're being sued for this and my mom and I are very stressed. We were sitting on the couch and I suggested we read scriptures. In times of trial why wouldn't you want to be comforted by the Spirit that comes with reading your scriptures. We've decided to read through the book of mormon since neither of us have yet. I'm very familiar with the first couple chapter in 1 Nephi. I have started reading the book of mormon multiple times and always quit by about 2 Nephi so 1 Nephi sticks in my mind. Today, however, something stood out in my mind. In the second chapter they start to talk about Laman and Lemual and how the murmur against Lehi. While reading I remebered and institute class I went to that discussed this. During the class the teacher asked us who we wanted to be: Nephi or his brothers. When we are put through trials do we want to stay steadfast and true or are we going to murmur about our unfortunate circumstances. I don't know about you, but I definately want to be Nephi. A few nights ago I was hanging out with Shelby who was telling me this story about a mother and her daughter. I can't remember exactly what was wrong, but the daughter had some sort of illness. Her mother often prayed and asked "Why Me?" She couldn't stop asking why Heavenly Father had put her and her daughter through this trial. What had she done wrong? One day she walked by her daughters room and saw the words "Why Not Me?" Her daughter accepted her trial knowing that Heavenly Father would not put her through anything she wouldn't be able to overcome and instead of asking Him "Why Me?" she asked "What can I do to make the best of my trials?" I'm not going through a terminal illness, I'm not going to die, and overall I have a very good life. I'm going through an unfortunate event in my life, but I'm determined to be like Nephi.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good stuff! sorry about the sewing stupid head..

i still love you.